Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Shark-Jump Watch, Fall 2005: 3.37

In a new seasonal event, I present the Shark-Jump Watch for the fall television season of 2005.

What can we say about a television show that has jumped the shark?

We can pine for the lost days or we can mock the current state of the show. Guess which one I'm going for?

Television Without Pity has resorted to calling Rachel Nichols "Boobs McPhee" in her latest efforts on Alias. It is the leader among the jumped-the-shark shows. But let's race through TV Land, shall we, gentle blog viewers? A quick tour of the shark tank.

Yes, I'm Boobs McPhee.
And now, Shark-Jump Watch:

Yes, jumped the shark:
ALIAS- My problems began this season on Alias with the very first episode and I've been mostly disappointed since then. What events prompted this? Surprisingly, not the unnecessary killing off of Vaughn, but the fact that Boobs McPhee was able to outhack Marshall. In the world of Alias, Marshall is the undisputed tech king. Bad Alias writers, bad.

Not yet, but maybe this season:
DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES- Despite apparent critical pans [which I say are still unsubstantied, especially if you actually look at the ratings] I'm still on the fence on the season so far.

Not yet, probably won't jump this season:
LOST- It pushes credibility to the brink and yet I keep watching. Why? Because it makes my pulse race, even in 'calmer' episodes like this week's Sun/Jin-centric episode.
SURVIVOR- If Jeff Probst leaves after this season, Survivor will jump. As it is, I kinda like this intensity-in-ten-cities version. But it's on its last legs, that's for sure.

Not this season:
VERONICA MARS- What's harder than making an amazing first season? Making a second that's even better. Yet Veronica Mars is on track to do just that. And is it just me or has Veronica gotten sassier this season? Me likee.
NIP/TUCK- Holy God this show is good. 'nuf said.

And the 'put it out its misery already' award goes to:
SMALLVILLE & CHARMED[tie]- Both WB shows started with promise [Clark Kent in high school, Shannon Doherty as a witch] but never quite coalesced. Especially Charmed. Man that show sucks. Except for Alyssa Milano. I could watch her grate cheese for an hour.

So that's my quick jaunt through TV Land. Feel free to comment and add other shows to each category, as I didn't really have the time to touch on every show. And I am curious to know what other viewers out there are thinking.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just musing to myself that since we don't get any dirt on Atlas's job or Sloane stories, our lad's blog is just not as enjoyable lately.

And today Atlas is blogging about shark-jumping. Coincidence? Methinks NOT.

12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Below average "Alias" is still ever better than 90% of TV.

Nice time slot, though, ABC.

12:10 PM

 
Blogger RockSteady said...

Of the "please-put-it-out-of-its-misery" variety: Will & Grace. In the name of all that is holy, can someone please do away with this show??

8:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder the CIA has been so inept the last few years, like not even finding Bin Ladin. The only ones they hire on Alias are 20-something models and pregnant woman for their secret missions.

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Captain Oats said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:22 AM

 
Blogger Captain Oats said...

I too agree that the OC has jumped. But yet, I still watch. Damn you, Rachel Bilson.

And I couldn't agree more about Alias jumping the shark. But I actually think that happened Season 3. Such a shame, the first two seasons provided some awesome television..

And queenofattolia, I gotta say..although season one is far superior, Veronia Mars has still been pretty freakin' awesome this season.

p.s. blatant self-promotion: i too have a tv blog, with some songs from various shows for download.. http://sillypipedreams.blogspot.com

2:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, thanks to Boobs McPhee, this is the first season of Alias I can watch without my brain trying to claw its way out of my skull, and flying to CA and beating the shit out of J.J. Abrams.

Thanks, Boobs McPhee!

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

www0816

adidas superstar
coach outlet online
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet online
uggs outlet
moncler online
manolo blahnik
coach outlet
canada goose jackets
cheap jordans
www0..

5:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home