Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I Married a Princess, Episode 1.15

"Though I am grateful for the blessings of wealth, it hasn't changed who I am. My feet are still on the ground. I'm just wearing better shoes."
-the Almighty Oprah

Last night, I got home from work after a quick stop at Chipotle for my Barbacoa fix and sat down to lose myself in some quality television programming. Since there isn't any quality programming on Monday nights other than 24, I decided to sample Lifetime's new reality show "I Married a Princess" before 24 started.

If you haven't heard about it, here's the basic premise: Casper Van Dien, star of such glorious films as Starship Troopers and the Omega Code, married Catherine Oxenberg, who is [technically] a princess and an actress. She already had one kid, he had two, and then together they had two more, for a near-Brady total of five. I was discussing the show with our intern Bubbles and we both agreed that they did have some of the cutest kids on the planet-- both in personality and looks.

Bubbles also maintains that Casper Van Dien remains 'totally fuckable', which would be a compliment if Bubbles didn't also think the same thing about Robert Evans ["he's so tan- and you know he'd take care of you"]. Casper's fuckability aside, I have to admit that he and Oxenberg are a pretty hot couple.

What really struck me about the show, though, were the kids, especially Oxenberg's teenage daughter India. The striking thing was that despite the fact that she's also technically a princess and certainly very rich, she didn't come across as a stuck-up bitch. After dozens of reality shows in which entitled teenagers wrap themselves in the thick blanket of egomania, I'm forced to admit that it was refreshing to see a reality that presented a teenager as caring about someone other than herself. I mean, really, the last time I saw a teen or twentysomething on reality tv that seemed to be a caring, sane individual was probably "Amish in the City".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home