Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

9 to 5: Anti-Capitalist Manifesto?: 3.45

The results aren't in from the election as I go to bed (I Voted! and I have the sticker to prove it). But I thought I'd take a day to explore the intersection of popular culture and politics and Dolly Parton.

So we all love the song "9 to 5", right? I mean, come on, it's Dolly Parton. Who doesn't like them some ? And the movie, with Dolly, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Dabney Coleman, is a classic. Seriously, it's been long enough [1980] to consider it a classic.

But have you ever actually checked out the lyrics? They start out innocent enough . . .

Tumble outta bed
And I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life

Jump in the shower
And the blood starts pumpin'
Out on the streets
The traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5


Great right? Dolly's voice is smooth and pure and bouncy-- just like her trademark breasts! And the words are cute and clever without being too much.

Workin' 9 to 5
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin'
And no givin'
They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it



9 to 5, for service and devotion
You would think that I
Would deserve a fair promotion
Want to move ahead
But the boss won't seem to let me
I swear sometimes that man is out to get me


Dolly's being held down by The Man!

Dolly, I totally sympathize.

They let you dream
Just to watch 'em shatter
You're just a step
On the boss man's ladder
But you got dreams he'll never take away

In the same boat
With a lot of your friends
Waitin' for the day
Your ship 'll come in
And the tide's gonna turn
An' it's all gonna roll you away


Well, that last part is certainly a hopeful sentiment, Dolly. Except for the vague drowning imagery.

Workin' 9 to 5
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin'
And no givin'
They just use your mind
And you never get the credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it
9 to 5, yeah, they got you where they want you
There's a better life
And you think about it don't you?


I think we've all had daydreams about infinity pools. Mine also tend to involve Jessica Alba either entering or exiting said pool, but that's neither here nor there.

It's a rich man's game
No matter what they call it
And you spend your life
Putting money in his wallet


Preach it. I've been saying the same thing for years. Of course, since the movie came out before I was born [by a year or so], I guess you said it first. Take us on home, Dolly.

Workin' 9 to 5
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin'
And no givin'
They just use you mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you love it

3 Comments:

Blogger cinekat said...

Now I can't get that bloody song out of my head. Besides, bitching about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? We should be so lucky! Ah, the good old days...

6:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica Alba coming out of a pool...mmmmmm...oooooo, how about Jessica doing Phoebe Cates' scene from Fastimes! Not that that scene is pretty much perfect as is...

8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good all dolly. She is gorgeous but she is quite old. but people on India Pharmacy still like it.

6:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home