Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Ultimate Lessons of the UTA List: 5.03

Since I wrote a little post about the infamous UTA joblist, I've gotten some interesting critiques of the industry's most exclusive compilation of employment.

Seriously. A lot of them.

Generally, they fall into two camps: one believes the list sucks and isn't worth the effort to obtain it, while the other swears by its mystical powers.

Ultimately, here's the lesson I've derived from this debate: work every angle.

Whether it's a relative, an internship, or a near-mythic list, try it.

The stars just might align for you. Or your talent and hard work can see you through. Just kidding. It's luck, nepotism or a lot of bjs.

Fortunately, once you're in, you can just do what I did and hang around in one place long enough until you everyone else leaves and you get promoted.

Speaking of, I think I may get promoted again. And seriously, if I get one more promotion, I may be headed definitively out of assistant land. Wait, is that a light at the end of the tunnel. . . Wait, nope.

It's an oncoming train of endless corporate meetings.

Boss Material?

TECHNORATI TAGS: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nyssa23 said...

I got my college internship (which I quite enjoyed) on the UTA joblist.

...Well, actually, now that I think about it I didn't. Instead, I applied for another internship on the joblist and that person had already filled the position so they passed my resume on to the place I eventually interned with.

So I guess that proves your point. Or not. Never mind! *laugh*

11:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congratulations!
Looks like you might have to change the name of the site to bossatlas soon! boss at last... geddit? ok lame...

8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home