Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Assistant Atlas Asstastic Executive of the Week!

That's right, kids, it's the evil doppelganger of the Assistant/Atlas Executive of the Week. I know "Asstastic Exec of the Week" wasn't one of the choices, but when I hit upon it, I knew it was the one.

For the first, but certainly not the last, Asstastic Executive of the Week I think MUST GO to the man himself, Michael Eisner. Yes, Michael Eisner, you took a company that was a modest animation/movie/entertainment studio, a symbol for pure, heartfelt, child-like emotion [and yes, paranoid xenophobic nationalism] and turned it into a monstrous corporate beast that devours the souls of employees and customers alike [without totally getting rid of the paranoid xenophobic nationalism].

You are evil incarnate to me, Michael Eisner.

And for the record, no, I haven't read the infamous book on the Mouse House or work there. I don't need to. With Michael Eisner, the results of his Asstasticity are apparent. Disney used to mean something to me-- something wholesome and nice-- that brought me joy. And I think once, it meant something to many people in my generation. But for me, no longer does the sheer thought of Disney inspire joy. True, part of that loss is growing up. Yes, part of it is the changing nature of the entertainment industry. But part of it is Michael Eisner. Worse than profligate debt spending or the inheritance of an inadequate health care system, Michael Eisner has destroyed a huge chunk of my generation's pure joy.

For that, Michael Eisner, you were chosen as the first-ever Assistant/Atlas Asstastic Executive of the Week. Congratulations, schmuck! May you rot in Hell next to Bambi's mother.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, hear!

Glad to see you're no longer crying. :)

11:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work at Disney and it is actually a pretty awesome place. It is by far the cleanest studio. People are pretty happy overall, the commissary is the best in Hollywood and there is some decent tail on the lot.

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Disney's commissary/caf is pretty good. Thing is, other than the decent tail [which I personally doubt] those are not necessarily good harbingers for a movie studio. Give me dirty lots and unhappy non-drones anyday. They make better movies.

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Assistant Atlas said...

I'm sorry, you're right, Pope. Bambi's mother isn't in Hell. She's in a magical cartoon Shangri-La heaven. But Eisner will be in Hell before you know it-- hopefully he'll have a nice ocean view of a burning lake of putrid-smelling lava.

6:20 PM

 
Blogger Assistant Atlas said...

Stupid Serenity/Firefly stock is down [and my Joss Whedon bonds along with them] like 10% since I bought about a million dollars of it. What's your HSX username, Pope, I wanna see how good you are. Actually, that gives me an idea for a post....

5:31 PM

 
Blogger Jon Lawrence said...

Best thing I ever heard him (Eisner) say was on his last day on Friday when I dropped by the lot to see (and hear) whatever sorry shit he had to say on his way out the door.

And during his "farewell," one bright shining moment of honesty when he said something along the lines of:

"It's been great over the years to hear all the nice things said about me, and there's a lot of good things I've said about a lot of the people I've gotten to work with here. But tomorrow, I guess everyone can say whatever they really want to say."

'Nuff said.

9:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home