Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

You Aren't Hardcore Enough to Get a Haircut Here

As many longer-term readers know, I live in Venice, California, home of official Abbot-Kinney celebrity mascot Mena Suvari. Mena probably already knows about the most hardcore haircuttery in the neighborhood, but for the rest of you, allow me to clue you in.

Located at 1716 Main Street, just off the main circle of downtown Venice, is Old Glory Barbershop. But this isn't just any barbershop, this is the most hardcore barbershop I've ever known. Why?

Well, let's start with the fact that it's also a tattoo parlor. That's right, now you can get a mohawk and a Hell's Angel tattoo in one place! Definitely hardcore.

And there's the soundtrack. When I got my haircut today, I heard Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Ramones, and even an illicut cut from DJ Danger Mouse's Grey Album. Yeah, that's right. My barbershop is so hardcore they play dubiously-legal, underground music.

Let's not forget the staff. Today my hair was cut a hot punk chick who managed to rock a near-mullet that was actually really attractive. Let me repeat this for emphasis. She had a mullet and it was friggin' hot! Anyone who can rock a mildly-ironic mullet-- and I mean really rock it-- deserves some serious props. The other people who work there are similarly awesome.

Great hair.

On the walls, you'll find classic, vintage-looking, framed posters. My favorite is the topless sailor wench. Plus, this being Venice, the neighboring shops are a kickboxing/yoga studio (which is odd even by California standards) and a "tobacco-smoking accessories" shop called Chronic Creations. So you get a body high or a regular high after you get your mohawk and tattoo. Hard. Core.

But if you want more than just my word, check out these reviews.

4 Comments:

Blogger mcdolph said...

that sounds like the best hairdresser ever. i want a hairdresser like that in my town, ye lucky man.

9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap man, we go to the same barbershop.

11:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best place on earth.

www.myspace.com/oldglorybarbershop

www.oldgloryvenice.com

cut that mullet!!! get a tatt!!!!

4:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a long time since I heard about a Barbershop. Right now my brother or my sister cut the hair for me. Also I like to do things locally and I buy on pharmacy online instead to go physically speaking.

8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home