Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Dear Mr. President: 5.25

I think some of my best posts have incorporated musical elements.
Jay-Z teaching New Media

Dolly Parton preaching Communism

Mos Def howling for the lost

Plus, some random slammin' Miami beats.

But there's one song that has only grown in poignancy, and in mind, since its release earlier this year: "Dear Mr. President". And that song, my friends, is by Pink. Yes, Pink-- backed by the Indigo Girls to give credence to the strong folk empowerment vibe she uses. Have we heard this song?

I'll show you the lyrics, condensed into the verses that resonate most strongly with me, but I urge you to legally download and/or purchase this song. It's a small pop culture way to screw with the President. Which we need to, since God apparently is not getting through to him.

Look, I really try not to be too political- that's not what life, or this blog, should be about. But at some point, NOT saying anything becomes political. Perhaps these days, at some point we all become radicalized-- I'd say usually when we're hit with death and insanity.

Just ask a 25-year-old from Lebanon.

The President's crimes go beyond raining destruction on others on the basis of deception.
His lies are destroying our future.

So take it away, Pink and the Indigo Girls...

Dear Mr. President
...(ellipsis indicates lyrics removed)
...
What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street?
Who do you pray for at night before you go to sleep?
What do you feel when you look in the mirror?
Are you proud?

How do you sleep while the rest of us cry?
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye?
How do you walk with your head held high?
Can you even look me in the eye?
And tell me why?

Dear Mr. President...
How can you say
No child is left behind
We're not dumb and we're not blind
They're all sitting in your cells
While you pave the road to hell

What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away?
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say
You've come a long way. . . from whiskey and cocaine
...
Let me tell you 'bout hard work
Minimum wage with a baby on the way
Let me tell you bout hard work
Rebuilding your house after the bombs took them away
Let me tell you bout hard work
...
You don't know nothing bout hard work....

How do you sleep at night?
How do you walk with your head held high?


TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink is not one of my most favorite artists. Although, I like some of her songs and a bit interested to hear this song " Mr. President". I'd rather want to hear her sing it than read its' lyrics.

12:54 AM

 
Blogger Scribe LA said...

Great work, Atlas!
Scribe

9:32 AM

 
Blogger writergurl said...

The guy sleeps quite well at night... he's only concerned with himself and those who he's decided is worthy of his concern. That would be those who kiss his ass, those who contributed to his variouos political campaigns and those who are related to him by blood, (well, some of them, I doubt he give a damn abour his drug addicted neice). His thoughts do not extend to anyone who's poor, homeless or somehow otherwise disnfranchised. He, like his "daddy", has no connection or concern for those less fortuante than he is.

3:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home