Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Debunking the CREAM Theory: 5.18

As I drearily regard the economic odds steadily stacking up against me and my 20something compatriots, I'm reminded that I'm still one of the lowest-paid people on the entire corporate ladder. Couple that with a rising desire to decamp to a rival media monster, and you've got a breeding ground for thoughts about money-- specifically, how much I should be ruled by it.

For those of you not familiar with the C.R.E.A.M. theory, allow me to illuminate some Wu-Tang for your ignorant a$$.

CREAM=Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

Simple enough, right? Yeah, it's actually TOO simple. Which is what inspired today's inspirational message.

One of the reasons I write is because I truly feel people aren't ruled by cash. At least, not all the time. If they were, I would be so bored with people that I would start designing robots. But they're not ruled by cash and they're not always boring.

They're ruled by love and lust, prejudice and empathy, compassion and/or an insatiable desire for power-- at least part of the time they are. Most people, anyway.

Now, I'm not saying people don't want money, or even that some people are so special that they aren't motivated by it ever. Okay, maybe Gandhi and a couple of the saints.

But you know why I really like people? Because try as I might, I find it quite difficult to make blanket statements that truly cover every member of the human race.

TECHNORATI: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nyssa23 said...

CREAM is a bit of a limited philosophy. Myself, I prefer the MIAMI Theory, put forth by that Cuban sage Pitbull: "Money Is A Major Issue." Sure, it's not everything, but it is pretty important.

But yeah, if people were always ruled by cash it'd be much easier to deal with them and predict their behavior. This way the world is messier and much more interesting.

But, I know what you mean. Although it was my original goal, the main reason I'm not looking to work in L.A. these days is that I don't want to be on that particular treadmill. I have small children to think about now and I don't want them to see their mom become a soulless money-grubber like most everybody else out there. sigh.

As you get to "Saturn's return" (late 20's) it's a good time to think about your personal philosophy and goals, what you stand for and what you want your life to mean. Good luck.

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Jack Kornfield says something like, "walk any path as many times as you need. If it's path with heart then it is good. If it's not then it's of no use."

So you've got to ask yourself, are you walking a path with heart?

And how did the ComicCon thing go? I would have volunteered but my family was in town.

1:53 PM

 
Blogger Coyote Davis said...

There are two types of people in the world; the type that devides people into two types, and the type that doesn't.

"Cast out your old tired expectations."
coyotELogic 2006

1:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home