Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

CW Off To Roaring Start: 5.26

I was trying to shake off my continuing gloom, and fortunately, my favorite network's bastard child, the CW, has helpfully obliged with its new ad campaign. Have you noticed it? Sure you have. They're the green ads that are popping up on billboards and buses all around large cities like Los Angeles. They look kinda like this:
(Popwatch snagged these pics.)


Leaving aside the sheer stupidity of the "Free to Be" slogan (is it patriotic? rebellious? ironic?), I simply must take exception to some of the one-word appellations. Granted, some make sense: Tom Welling's "Super", for example. Although, I must say that that has to be one of the gayest Tom Welling pictures in the history of Tom Welling photography. But it makes sense. You know, except for the fact that the slogan doesn't mean anything.

Veronica Mars may be "Fearless", but watching her doesn't help me deal with my scary boss. And speaking of "Scary", I was plenty scared before Supernatural came along. The only thing it made me free to be afraid of is the judgment of girls 12-17.
And the Gilmore Girls may be "Witty", but why call Alexis Bledel "Girlie" and scare off potential male fans? These are Marketing 101 lessons, people. Oy.

But I reserve special ire for whomever genius did the One Tree Hill ad. "Cool"? COOL!?!?! Did you run out of adjectives? I guarantee you one of the assistants could've found a thesaurus. Because we all learned in Marketing 101 that if a bunch of marketing people try to make something 'Cool', it never will be.

And what, exactly, is my avatar doing in those ads? Is he angry? Having a migraine? Enlightened? Pointing out how cool his eyebrows are? It is resolutely NOT cool. Sorry, Chad. It just sucks. And please, white boys do not wear soul patches. Only Tony Almeida gets to wear a soul patch.

Dude....seriously. You're making me look bad. Again.

TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger EmployeeMegan said...

As a One Tree Hill afficionado, I would have gone with Free to Be Senseless. Or maybe plotless. Inexplicable? Without artistic merit of any kind? Any are better than "cool". Also, instead of Chad Mike, the ad would feature Dan Scott dressed as the devil, mid-maniacal laugh.

11:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those billboards look like Tom Welling is about to give someone head. What is this, the year of the Gay Superman?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

10:22 PM

 
Blogger meenu said...

Well this is a nice Blog on most important facts. I am happy to read this. But I am looking more and more info. Please add some thing more. I shall link from my blogs to this blog to day itself. 
Last week I have found a nice informative guide on HIV from following URL http://www.helpcure.com/hiv/ 
This guide says - How To Cure HIV Through herbal medicines and Holistic Treatment. Guide claims that HIV viruses can't be killed but they can be ousted out of the body cells using bio magnetic repulsion or something written. I dreamt of a HIV free world after reading this guide.
Hope to read more from you people soon.  
 Wish you all a nice and fantastic Day for you

12:46 AM

 
Blogger crazyloko said...

Air Jordan Shoes
Wholesale NFL Jerseys
MBT shoes
nike tn requin chaussures
puma chaussures hommes
tn chaussures
nike tn
ed hardy clothing
ed hardy clothing
chaussures tn
Remise Sports Chaussures
tn requin
NFL Jerseys

7:25 PM

 
Blogger crazyloko said...

This phenomenomChina Wholesale is typified by mobile phonethe rise ofbusiness. Incredible range of products available with “Low Price and High Quality” not only reaches directly to their target clients worldwide but also ensures that cheap cell phones wholesale from China means margins you cannot find elsewhere and cell phonesChina Wholesale will skyroket your profits.cosplay costumes
cheap cell phones
cheap cocktail dresses
Cheap Wedding Dresses
cheap jewelry

7:26 PM

 
Blogger crazyloko said...

I’m a Wholesale Polo Shirts huge fan of Fiber Gourmet pasta’s; Cheap Ed Hardy clothingthey taste great and Air Max Chaussures are healthy not only for you but your entire family. Polo shirtThere’s really no difference in the taste between thisTn Requin pasta and your standard pasta, Chaussures Sport InI couldn’t tell the difference, Polo shirtneither could any member of my family including my picky children.Chaussures puma It’s nice to know that even while dieting and watching my calorie intake there Chaussures Nikeis an alternative out there that allows me to eat the pasta I want, Wholesale Polo Shirtswholesale polo shirtsNIKE AIR RIFT,NIKE requin tn Livraison 24H Shox R4,when I want without the guilt.

7:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home